St. John’s Church in Viljandi

The church devoted to John the Baptist was erected in the 17thC upon the ruins of a Franciscan abbey. The church was destroyed several times in various wars and then invariably rebuilt. Still functioning after the Second World War, it was closed in 1950 and turned into a warehouse.
It was consecrated again in 1992 and is now often used as a concert venue. Interesting to know: *This place of worship contains the communion table by Aivar Oja and stained-glass windows by Renee Aua. *Wall carpets have been made by the local textile artist Prof. Anu Raud, whose work “Mother Tree” is displayed in the UN’s main building in New York.

Viljandi linn, Viljandi maakond, 71011, Eesti Phone: +372 4333000 Email: Facebook

Times and prices

7-day calendar:


10:00 - 17:00


10:00 - 17:00


10:00 - 17:00


10:00 - 17:00


10:00 - 17:00




10:00 - 17:00

Features and amenities

  • Site lighting
  • Free parking
  • Wheelchair accessible
  • Estonian
  • Signposted
  • Sealed access road
  • By excursion bus
  • By public transport
  • By car
  • Bus: Vabaduse plats
  • Souvenirs