St. John's Church in Viljandi

Pikk tänav 6, 71003 Viljandi Viljandi maakond, Estonia Phone: +372 433 3000 E-mail: viljandi.jaani@eelk.ee

Times and prices

7-day calendar
The church devoted to John the Baptist was erected in the 17thC upon the ruins of a Franciscan abbey. The church was destroyed several times in various wars and then invariably rebuilt. Still functioning after the Second World War, it was closed in 1950 and turned into a warehouse. It was consecrated again in 1992 and is now often used as a concert venue. Interesting to know: *This place of worship contains the communion table by Aivar Oja and stained-glass windows by Renee Aua. *Wall carpets have been made by the local textile artist Prof. Anu Raud, whose work "Mother Tree” is displayed in the UN's main building in New York.

Settings

Amenities

  • Wheelchair accessible
  • Site lighting
  • Free parking