Ruins of the Viljandi Order Castle

Tasuja puiestee 6, 71011 Viljandi Viljandi maakond, Estonia E-mail: viljandi@visitestonia.com

Times and prices

24 hours
Avatud: 24 hours
The stone castle started to appear in the place of the former Estonian stronghold in 1224. The fortress got its final shape and size at the beginning of the 16th century, becoming one of the distinguished fortresses in Estonia and Latvia. Due to wars between Sweden, Poland and Russia, all that is left from the entire order castle today are just a few stone walls. Already at the beginning of the last century, the ruins of the fortress and the park around it were turned into a recreational area for the residents of Viljandi. In order to access the castle hills from town, a rope bridge was build from the Kaeuvumägi hill over the 13 m deep trench in 1931. From the ruins, you have the most beautiful view over Lake Viljandi.

Settings

Amenities

  • Information boards
  • Site lighting
  • Recreation area/picnic ground